Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What's in a place?

What is the nature of a place and of a people?  These are questions that I ponder quite often, although usually in the context of teaching World History.  They have also been with me this summer as I prepared for my trip to India, both in regards to my understanding of India and in my representation of Iowa. 

Flying out of Des Moines on June 30, we had clear skies and I was able to take this picture of Iowa.  I had the thought that Iowa may not be flat, but it is straight, at least in some places.  Yet, is this representative of Iowa?  In some ways, yes, and in other ways, no. 
I kept this lesson in mind as I did my reading in preparation for India this summer, and please keep it in mind while reading my posts about India.

No comments:

Post a Comment